Kayu™ Canada Exotic Hardwood Deck Maintenance
You are the proud owner of a Kayu Tropical Hardwood Deck! In order to keep your deck looking great, it is imperative to periodically clean and re-oil the surface. Follow these easy steps to keep your deck looking brand new. All the products mentioned below are available from Kayu™ Canada Inc.
Cleaning Your Deck:
- Sweep excess debris, dirt and leaves, off the deck surface. Wet the deck surface down with clean water.
- Mix Messmer’s Wood & Deck Cleaner in warm water at the recommended strength.
- After waiting several minutes for the product to dissolve and activate, apply with a mop. Let the cleaning product sit on the deck surface for at least 20 minutes, making sure to keep the deck wet with more cleaner if it begins to dry out. If your deck is extremely dirty, scrub the decks boards along with the grain of the wood with a stiff broom. Rinse thoroughly with clean water.
- Allow the deck to dry for 24 – 48 hours after cleaning before applying the finishing product.
Refinishing Your Deck:
- Do not apply the finishing product of your choice during the heat of the day as the oil dries too quickly. It is best to apply in the early morning, or early evening during the summer months. Be mindful of the minimum temperature below for each finishing product.
- When applying finishing oil work 2 – 3 boards at a time, as the oil can dry quickly and it’s important to make sure each board is coated evenly for best results. Make sure you brush or roll on a generous coat along the entire plank of wood. After 5 – 10 minutes go back to the oiled boards and wipe up any excess oil, or back brush, pushing it into the wood surface with the grain. Please ensure you remove any excess oil with a clean brush to prevent tackiness and surface sheen.
- Messmer’s UV Plus, allow 24 – 48 hours
- Hemp Shield Exterior Oil, allow 6 – 8 hours
- Osmo Decking Oil, allow 12 hours
- Messmer’s UV Plus, use paint thinner or mineral spirits
- Hemp Shield Exterior Oil, use soap and water
- Osmo Decking Oil, use paint thinner or mineral spirits
Minimum Application Temperature:
- Messmer’s UV Plus, 4°C
- Hemp Shield Exterior Oil, 10°C
- Osmo Decking Oil, 5°C
- Messmer’s UV Plus, 1 gallon (3.79L) – 200 sq. ft. – 300 sq. ft. (approx.)
- Hemp Shield Exterior Oil, 1 gallon (3.79L) – 300 sq. ft. – 400 sq. ft. (approx.)
- Osmo Decking Oil, 24m²/L (258ft2/L) with one coat
Different wood species, age, and degree of weathering can affect the amount of finish required to maintain your exterior surface, let the wood tell you how much oil is required or when it needs reapplication.
Please note: Hemp Shield Exterior Oil, and Messmer’s UV Plus for Hardwoods Oil, are all 1 coat applications. With annual cleaning and oil treatment, the wood will naturally darken with UV exposure. Your deck should be finished no more than once a year. Application of the oil should be with a bristle brush or lint free roller.
If you have any questions, we welcome your calls or emails.
DANGER PLEASE NOTE: RAGS, PADS, STEEL WOOL, SPONGES, OR WASTE SOAKED WITH THESE PRODUCTs MAY SELF IGNITE AND CATCH FIRE IF IMPROPERLY DISCARDED.
IMMEDIATELY AFTER USE PLACE RAGS, PADS, STEEL WOOL OR WASTE IN A SEALED WATER FILLED METAL CONTAINER FOR PROPER DISPOSAL