Kayu™ Canada is 100% committed to sustainable forest management and strives to ensure that the earth’s forests remain healthy now and for generations to come.
Kayu™ Canada Inc. strives to purchase only the highest quality exotic hardwoods from Indonesia, Malaysia, and Brazil. When we purchase our hardwood products we are extremely mindful of the local forest management practices and the sustainable forest methods applied.
We ensure that our hardwoods are sustainably managed and legally harvested. We work hand in hand with our suppliers and our key responsibility is to ensure the protection of their complex ecosystem while providing a continued product flow. Natural regeneration is a major factor in the continued growth of Indonesian, Malaysian and Brazilian rain forests. They are constantly finding innovative ways to monitor and protect their rain forests. We only source from mills that adhere to strict government regulations.
There are numerous organizations in place to ensure the highest standards in forest management and sustainable forest practice guidelines.
Forest Stewardship Council®
- Sets standards for responsible forest management
- Protects and maintains natural communities and high conservation value forests
- Respects the rights of workers, communities and indigenous peoples
- Builds markets, adding best value, and creating equal access to benefits.
- Market Based approach
Indonesian Legal Wood
- SVLK is Indonesia’s timber legality assurance system
- SVLK issues a mandatory legality and sustainability certification
- Provides assurance to customers and suppliers that wood products from Indonesia are legally harvested
Malaysian Timber Certification Council
- Voluntary national timber certification scheme
- Creates standards for timber certification and conducts periodic reviews
- Helps prevent illegal logging and improve the monitoring of Malaysian forests
- Coordinates with regional, national and international bodies related to timber certification to facilitate cooperation and mutual recognition arrangements
- Restoration Science
- Facilitation + Governance
- Government Affairs
- Markets + Finance